Upgrades along the Dukes Highway will include construction of six new overtaking lanes and the extension of five overtaking lanes along with safety improvements at the Riddoch and Mallee Highway intersections. These improvements will help alleviate driver frustration, and improve efficiency and road safety.
Two locations have been identified for upgrades based on data for frequent overtaking related crashes. These locations are east of the Mallee Highway intersection and west of the Riddoch Highway intersection. The remaining four overtaking lanes will compliment the wide centreline treatments by ensuring adequate overtaking opportunities are maintained on the Dukes Highway for improved safety.
The six new overtaking lanes will be constructed at the following locations:
- West of the Riddoch Highway - construction of a new westbound overtaking lane .
- Three kilometres east of Tailem Bend, directly east of the Mallee Highway intersection - construction of a new eastbound overtaking lane, incorporating safety improvements to the Mallee Highway intersection.
- One kilometre west of Keith, directly to the west of the Riddoch Highway intersection,- construction of a new westbound overtaking lane incorporating safety improvements to the Riddoch Highway intersection.
- Five kilometres west of Coomandook - construction of a new eastbound overtaking lane.
- Two kilometres west of Tintinara - construction of a new Westbound overtaking lane.
- East of Wirrega North junction or 25 km east of Keith - construction of a new Eastbound overtaking lane.
Prior to construction work starting, there were a total of 30 overtaking lanes along the 191km length of the Dukes Highway. The above overtaking lanes have all been completed thus bringing the total number of overtaking lanes to 36 on the Dukes Highway.