Track upgrade works completed
Train services between Mawson Interchange and Gawler Central resumed on Saturday 31 March 2012, slightly ahead of schedule.
All parts of the track have been completely upgraded, including:
- replacing or refurbishing the steel rails
- upgrading the track base for support, including improved drainage
- installing new, gauge convertible concrete sleepers
- upgrading twelve level crossings
- constructing a ‘turn-back’ facility at Elizabeth station to allow trains to start and finish journeys from this station in the future providing more frequent services.
To facilitate final works, the line was re-opened in two stages to minimise disruptions to public transport users and maximise efficiencies.
1. Opening to Salisbury 18 March 2012
2. Full line re-opening 31 March 2012
From Sunday 18 March the line was opened for passenger services between Mawson Interchange and Salisbury Interchange. Works continued through to Gawler Central and the line remained closed.
Limited services operated on Saturday 31 March 2012 with return to full services from Sunday 1 April 2012. Train services resumed from the 6:21pm departing Adelaide Railway Station and the 7:54pm departing Gawler on Saturday.
This is the largest section of track to be upgraded as part of the State Government's Rail Revitalisation Project, requiring a track closure to get the work done as efficiently and safely as possible.
The department thanks residents and commuters for their patience while these important infrastructure works took place.
For further information: